Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Potty Training: Day 2

Why worry about being late on every other post? Just be "on time" when I can! I'm probably more on top of these posts because this potty training is all I'm doing with no grown-up communication.

Highlights
  • went through about 1/3 of the underwear we did yesterday, which means he's increasingly making it to the potty without going at all beforehand.
  • watched Monsters, Inc. together. He really only wanted to watch it if I stayed with him (sigh...so cute). This was also our sole TV for the day. I'm discovering that on "normal" days TV serves as my babysitter while I get stuff done...maybe I use it more than I need to.
  • playing cars, games, pillow piles and so forth with Hamilton. He's so fun and has such a great imagination. One of my favorites was his naming a stuffed hippo "Silly Gilly Fruit Snack Guy." What?
  • successfully handled/coped with a #2 accident. And remained consistent about NOT getting mad or frustrated at him. Miracles.
  • breakfast crepes...easy to take the time on a day we're going nowhere. Not, of course, awesome for my chubbiness, but still...
Lessons Learned
  • If I can handle and play with Hamilton from 8am-8pm without going outside of this house, that means I can and should do more playtime with him on regular days. I've been spending way too much time "getting through the day" rather than enjoying my time with him. That doesn't mean I'll quit the gym and forgo visiting with friends at the park or anything...just take advantage of my time as a stay-at-home mom more often.
  • People need to make taller step stools for kids. I know H isn't that tall, but goodness.
  • Alex misses a lot. :( Did keep H up a little longer, so Alex could see him and his big boy underwear for the first time.

3 comments:

  1. Kate, you are so awesome. I'm really impressed that you and Hamilton are nailing this already. Wow.
    Also, Ikea makes a nice tall stepstool. You need one. They are completely awesome... the only ones that get 3 year olds up to the sink. Why do they even make stepstools that are only 6 inches high? Pointless. Anyway, we aren't using our high stepstool right now, so if you would like to borrow it until you make it to Ikea for your own you are very welcome to it. I'll be home all day tomorrow if you are up for a little errand. Or maybe I could send it to your house with Krista since her kids will be over here for a while tomorrow. I'd offer to bring it to you, but we just don't leave the house any more these days and I am strangely at peace with that. If only I were using my home time to potty train Andrew! Not gonna happen. Let me know how you'd like to get the stepstool. And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo...Megan, experienced mom. Glad I'm not the only with step stool problems...I even bought one taller than the others by a couple inches. Why aren't companies focusing on what a step stool actually needs to be and putting fewer bells and whistles (i.e. one times for hand washing and claps for the kid...oh boy).

    I would love to borrow your step stool. The Krista idea works, if she doesn't mind, or I can just get it from you Sat? Won't have it for long though...love any excuse to go to Ikea...just as soon as my fear of leaving the house with an underweared Hamilton subsides....on second thought, I may have it for the next 2 years.

    p.s. thanks for thinking we're awesome. we'll see how this all shakes out...

    ReplyDelete