Monday, January 25, 2010

RIP Wallpaper


When I was in my last trimester with Hamilton, I applied those infamous "nesting" instincts to putting together Hamilton's nursery. This was much to Alex's chagrin, who was hoping the "nesting" would exhibit itself in the form of my cleaning out the garage, creating budget pie charts, keeping my closet under control, and developing an OCD obsession with dusting.  Sorry to disappoint, Honey.

Because Hamilton's room has such high ceilings, and we don't even own a step stool, I decided that a wallpaper border with new paint beneath it would have to do.  I know that wallpaper borders aren't really "in," but nurseries mostly just need to be cute, and I felt that there was a border out there somewhere that would fit the bill.  After quite a bit of searching, I found what I'd been imagining...hooray!  Then came the paint selection and the awesome Target curtain find...all of which tied in nicely with the only crib bedding I didn't find obnoxious (thank you, Land of Nod).  What a fabulous, cute bedroom for my little baby boy!

Fast forward one year or so...

Apparently, the nursery decor was a little too "baby" for my growing boy because he began peeling off the wallpaper.  I'm not even sure how he managed to begin--we actually did a pretty good job putting it up--but he did.  Travis likes to point out that the sites of said "wallpaper destruction" were places where Hamilton exerted the least control: around his crib and next to the diaper changing table.  Ok, makes sense...

But it drove me ABSOLUTELY crazy.  You know how we all have those "buttons" that when pushed turn us into irrational lunatics.  Hamilton's peeling of the wallpaper was it for me.  His blank look as he peeled a strip off while I was tackling a messy diaper caused his loving mommy to be replaced by a heartless OCD control freak.  How could he do this to me?  He's ruining the bedroom I worked hard to create!

Taking a (giant) step back, I realized the irony of the situation...my anger at the very person for whom I made the nursery in the first place.  Craziness.  However, Crazy Kate continued to exist, until enough of the wallpaper was down to require a room re-do.  Sidenote: Alex originally suggested replacing the border.  Ummm...duh?  Knowing that the wallpaper's life was over allowed me to let go and choose more worthy battles to fight with Hamilton...like holding my hand in the parking lot and not running down the driveway (both still works in progress *sigh*).  

And now, thanks to my very own personal house renovator Travis (hip hip hooray!), the bedroom has been redone, yet again, in anticipation of a newborn.  This time, though, with a fresh coat of paint throughout and sleeping spots for two boys.  I know the baby won't notice, but I am happier and more calm knowing that he has a lovely, fresh room to move into...not a second-hand wreck of one.

So, I guess I'm left with time to do some of that "real" nesting Alex dreams of....

5 comments:

  1. just noticed that the title kind of has two meanings...ha, ha. Kate you are sooo frightfully clever, it's often unconscious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm jealous your newbie will have something "new"ish to sleep in. my poor kids and their white walls. i'd even take ripped wallpaper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, i'm CRACKING up at your to-do list (especially the eating one.) funny stuff. and enjoy the 1 on 1 with hamilton. while nothing beats a new baby, there's nothing like that time alone with the first. :)

    (ps-we broke down and bought a double stroller when we had miles. loved it. :) -- and are you tired of my comments yet?? sheesh. i'm done. really. done.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. never tired of your comments...what stroller did you guys get?

    and the one big "to do" missing is "name the baby." THAT one deserves a post of its own...having such a hard time--although maybe not as difficult a time as the whole healthy eating business :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the blog all about being a mommy and two cute boys - babies are very blog-worthy. A note about the naming thing - make sure you come to agreement about what you will call him, regardless of the name - I'm sure people think we are weird when they ask what Will's name is, and we give different answers...

    ReplyDelete